miércoles, 23 de junio de 2021

Happy 25th anniversary, Nintendo 64

 


The title pretty much says it all - I want to wish a happy silver anniversary to the "most powerful fun machine on Earth", the Nintendo 64. I've never been what you may call a gamer, but I loved video games as a kid and many times fantasized with owning this console when I saw Super Mario 64 promoted at every toy store in Argentina, in the days when I had the old Famicom. This console introduced me to James Bond as well, thanks to the GoldenEye 007 game, which prompted me to watch the film on TV. It was a matter of time before my dad rented me the console with both games and, whenever he did, it was always the prelude of a wonderful weekend. I have beautiful memories of Mario Kart 64, Cruisin' USA, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Pilotwings 64, too.


It wasn't until January 2011 until I could buy a second-handed N64 with the GoldenEye 007 game (Player's Choice edition, with box and manual) and I'm truly happy that I did, it was a way to relive the best days of my childhood in the aftermath of an atrocious year like 2010 was in my life. I stick to emulation to replay the other games lately for a matter of definition and because original cartridges are quite expensive (at least here, retro-gaming is an expensive business), but the simple sight of a shelf with lots of N64 boxes really makes me feel good. Those were the days when games were colorful, fun, rewarding and had a cover artwork which was a feast for your eyes. I don't see that in modern games, not even the Bond ones.

Happy 25th!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario